The roof of your home provides necessary shelter and protection for your family and personal possessions. Replacing it is an important decision and a major investment. Choosing the best roofing contractor for your home can be complicated, so lets get started…
Begin by finding friends, neighbors or relatives with recently repaired or newly installed roofs and ask them about their contracting experiences. Ask for referrals from those with positive testimonials. Search online for additional local and reputable roofing contractors. Once you have a list of companies that you wish to consider, research each one using both the Better Business Bureau website and the individual company’s website.
1. It is important to know details about the contractors you are considering. Is the company actually local? Verify their business address, phone number, and office location by using the BBB’s website. Find out how long they have been operating, check their BBB rating, and read past and recent customer reviews. Conducting online research is a valuable tool to utilize while deciding what type of contractor you would like to work with.
2. Wait, you’re not ready to make the call! First, make a list of potential contractors based on your research. Next, list some specific questions to ask each contractor when you call. For instance, inquire about the process for obtaining an estimate or verify that the contractor has liability and workers’ compensation insurance. Ask what roofing products they recommend and verify that they are certified installers. Inquire about warranties offered by both the contractor and the manufacturer(s). Perhaps you have a necessary timeline or an insurance claim for a roof replacement? Asking specific questions will help to insure that the contractor can accommodate your specific roofing needs.
3. Now it’s time to call and ask the questions you’ve prepared. Be ready to have a detailed and lengthy conversation with each of the contractors that you call. A responsible and conscientious contractor will not only answer your questions, but will also want to gather information pertaining to your project. Based on these conversations, you can schedule estimate appointments with the contractors you wish to consider for your roofing project.
4. Make the most of your appointments: Plan to meet with each contractor at your home for at least one hour. This is your opportunity to learn more about the company and their knowledge of the roofing process face-to-face. Ask any questions that you may have missed during your phone conversations. Based on their evaluation of your roofing needs, the contractor should provide you with a written estimate.
5. Once you receive estimates from the contractors you’ve selected, you’re ready to decide which contractor to hire. Using your online research, your list of specific questions and roofing needs, and your face-to-face interactions with each contractor, evaluate and compare which contractor is the appropriate choice for you.
Choosing the best contractor for your project is not an easy decision, but by following the process described above you will be well informed and prepared to make the correct decision.